Look How Far She's Come...

Look How Far She's Come...
11.20.09 3 lbs. 3 oz. 16 in.
*BELIEVE*

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Surgery!!

I had been in contact with Fiona's surgeon (well we talked through the nurses mostly) about her hernia and our concerns about still wrapping her O with the ace bandage. I finally got to talk to him last night personally. The nurse had previously told me that if the hernia wasn't hard or red, and if she wasn't vomiting or in pain that it was fine. She also asked if we were able to push it back in! Umm, I wasn't really aware that I was supposed to try that, haha! So I did, and let me tell you, that is one of the weirdest things I have ever done! Anyway... I told Dr. Burns everything about the hernia and the fact that she has been getting alot more blisters on the O. She has always gotten blisters on it, but the ones she had the other day were the biggest ones she had ever had. And yesterday they popped taking off a layer of skin. His first question was, "Well it was just one layer of skin right? You can't see intestines or anything can you?" I said, "Uh, no. I'm pretty sure if I could see intestines I would be there right now!" So after talking for a bit, he decided that IT IS TIME FOR SURGERY! He doesn't want to risk her getting more blisters and compromising all of the good skin on her O. And also her having the hernia has sped things up a bit. The scheduler was supposed to call today, but hadn't called by 3 so I called there. She didn't have all of her records and his orders so she has to call back tomorrow. My guess is that the surgery will be sometime within the next month. I am very excited to get this process started, but sooo nervous at the same time. I just hope that everything goes as planned and we are only there for the 2 or 3 days that he thinks we should be. I am just worried about it affecting her breathing and eating. But I guess no matter what it affects, it has to be done sometime!
Some other good news is that yesterday was the first day she hasn't thrown up in about 2 months! We are in the process of changing her formula so I'm not sure if it is helping already?
She has started making ALOT of noises. We think that she actually knows how to do it and thinks it's funny when she does. She does it alot to get my attention if I have my back turned to her or am in the other room. She also does it alot when she is tired or mad. It is so nice to hear things from her! I tried to video tape it today, but of course she wouldn't do it while I had the camera on! She is a little stinker!
I will be sure to update when we find out for sure when her surgery will be!

4 comments:

  1. How exciting! I know you must be anxious but I will keep you all in my prayers as you prepare for the big day. And go Fiona on not throwing up! Keep us updated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh! How exciting! (and nerve-wracking). I'll be praying for a good surgery and speedy recovery for Fiona.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW, so exciting. I am sure you are nervous, hand in there. Fiona is strong and she has proved that over and over!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is great!. I know it has to be overwhelming too, but I'm sure she will do great!. I'll be praying for a succesful surgery and speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete