Look How Far She's Come...

Look How Far She's Come...
11.20.09 3 lbs. 3 oz. 16 in.
*BELIEVE*

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Pseudomonas?

Last week we noticed this odd strangely sweet smell coming from Fiona's O when we were doing dressing changes. By the end of the week it was so bad that you could smell it through the wrapping and her clothes. So Thursday I called her surgeons office and talked to the nurse. I think she thought I was crazy! But had to talk to Dr. Burns and then call me back. Well Friday morning I still hadn't heard from them, so I called our Pediatrician. I think that nurse also thought I was crazy and just told me to get ahold of someone in Pittsburgh. Thanks for the help. I called back to Dr. Burns' office and left another message. They finally called me back about 5 pm on Friday. The nurse explained that she has Pseudomonas bacteria on her O. The bacteria just being there is different from it being infected, but if untreated could turn into an infection. So the treatment is to put an acetic acid solution on it for 15 minutes 4 times a day. This is not as easy as it sounds! We were so used to only doing her dressing change once a day before surgery. Then after surgery we went to doing it twice a day because it was oozing and bleeding and we had to keep it dry. Well now we have to do it 4 times a day along with the acid treatment. Fiona is not a fan of the dressing changes! It doesn't seem to hurt her in any way, but we have to hold her arms and legs down so she doesn't get them anywhere near her O. I just hate that the poor thing can't have a schedule of her own. Like right now she is sleeping, but still needs her O done one more time and also needs her breathing treatment and suctioned. She doesn't ever just get to sleep when she wants to between those things and therapies. ugh!

Other than the Pseudomonas, she is doing really well! She is pretty much back to her normal self, laughing and smiling all the time. She started laughing when you tickle her. We finally put her in her walker yesterday for the first time since surgery and I think she missed it! We were worried about how her O was going to fit. It is much smaller now, but sticks straight out in front. Whereas before it flopped off to the side in her walker and jumper. We haven't tried the jumper yet, but she fits nicely in the walker. She has also started clapping and it is so cute!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! It is truly amazing what she has gone through and what the doctors are able to do. My friends and acquaintances had her in their prayers and are amazed at how well she is doing. Please give her a hug and a kiss from us.

    Love,
    Aunt Di

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad things are going well for her!

    ReplyDelete